RTI in Maine

Response to Intervention (academic & behavior) in Maine

“This is a quick note to let you know we have been approached by Public Broadcasting with a request to avoid using “PBS” as a “trademark.”  Public Broadcasting is now receiving emails from people asking about how they can access school-wide positive behavior support services… and Public Broadcasting is not amused.

You may receive a “cease and desist” letter from Public Broadcasting if you have a website using “PBS.”  The attorney for the University of Oregon has been in contact with Public Broadcasting.  We have agreed to shift use of PBS to one of the following (PBIS, SWPBS or Positive Behavior Support).  There is agreement that if we make this adaptation it will address all concerns.  We want to be respectful and legally appropriate, yet still communicate with people in the field.  Using the words “Positive Behavior Support” will continue to be appropriate and the accurate description of the larger effort.  Using PBIS or SWPBS to indicate use of the technology within schools will also be acceptable.  Thank you for your help.

George Sugai, Rob Horner, Tim Lewis”

Tags: PBIS, PBS

Views: 922

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess you know you're making an impact when you get a cease and desist from a national organization. Apologies to PBS (though it would be okay to be amused :)!
I am amused. They must have missed the "I".
There is also a restraint program in Maine (I think put out by Sweetser) that is called PBIS. Two spec. ed. directors in my region have said to me, "We do Safety Care or CPI, why would we want to start PBIS" Ugh! Very frustrating.
It's actually called PBS and I've had students ask me to get waived from my course on PBIS because they've taken the Spurwink PBS restraint program. I'm certain there are some fine modules in it but it's main purpose is safe restraint, NOT the systemic, data-based and foundation work of PBIS. I agree, "UGH"
I'm so glad to be a part of this group, having done PBIS for the past 7 years coming out of Illinois. I've found my people! HaHa :)
Renee! Really? You've been doing this in Illinois? Where are you? I need you as a facilitator. Really, where are you working now?
Became a facilitator in 2002 when I worked for the Kane County Reg. Office of Ed. in IL. I moved to Maine in 2003 and have been employed at the Southern Penobscot Regional Program formerly (Old Town Regional Program). Its a public day treatment program that serves students with emotional disabilities in So. Penobscot County that have not been successful in their public school. I started doing PBIS here until a former co-worker walked off with my facilitator binder with all of the powerpoints - Ugh! But you don't really need the binder to do PBIS. We have been implementing the program ever since along with SWIS.
Love the whole philosophy!
It was great to see George S. in Augusta - he did my facilitator training in IL - great guy!
I lived in Bangor for 3 or 4 years and worked in the school system there so I am familiar with Old Town and the program. I think Murray Shulman was the director at one point and then became my boss in Bangor!
Are you flexible at all? I'd love your help on facilitating some schools. pat
Barbara Gunn has been the Director here for the past 12 years. Murray is retiring from Bangor at the end of this school year.
I would have to talk to Barb about doing anything outside of my job here. Our building, hopefully, is moving sometime soon, so it might be a crazy beginning of the next school year. I will look into it - thanks for your time, Renee

RSS

Latest Activity

Jordan Boone updated their profile
Monday
Jordan Boone is now a member of RTI in Maine
Jun 9
Sandra Poulin is now a member of RTI in Maine
Feb 5
Profile IconAmy catling and Cheryl Neiverth joined RTI in Maine
Dec 2, 2016
Alicia LaFosse left a comment for Pat Red
"I am excited to join this forum and find ways to support RTI at my school."
Nov 1, 2016
Alicia LaFosse is now a member of RTI in Maine
Nov 1, 2016
Larry Clement is now a member of RTI in Maine
Oct 29, 2016
Sarah Hanson is now a member of RTI in Maine
Oct 11, 2016
Janice M. Johnston is attending Pat Red's event

7th Annual Maine PBIS Conference at Augusta Civic Center

November 4, 2016 from 8am to 3:30pm
Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) are being implemented in over 20,000 schools across all 50 states, and Maine has over 100 schools implementing SWPBS! PBIS has a large and ever growing research base demonstrating positive outcomes, including but not limited to, increased academic achievement and academic engagement, decreased time spent addressing problem behavior, improved positive school climate, and reduction in administration of consequences for problem behaviors such…See More
Oct 11, 2016
Jillian Close is now a member of RTI in Maine
Oct 5, 2016
Janice M. Johnston is now a member of RTI in Maine
Sep 28, 2016
Heather Halsey updated their profile
Sep 28, 2016
Heather Halsey shared Pat Red's event on Facebook
Sep 27, 2016
Heather Halsey is attending Pat Red's event

7th Annual Maine PBIS Conference at Augusta Civic Center

November 4, 2016 from 8am to 3:30pm
Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) are being implemented in over 20,000 schools across all 50 states, and Maine has over 100 schools implementing SWPBS! PBIS has a large and ever growing research base demonstrating positive outcomes, including but not limited to, increased academic achievement and academic engagement, decreased time spent addressing problem behavior, improved positive school climate, and reduction in administration of consequences for problem behaviors such…See More
Sep 27, 2016
Christine Bisson updated their profile
Sep 23, 2016
Profile IconChristine Bisson and Mike Flaherty joined RTI in Maine
Sep 22, 2016

© 2017   Created by Christen Stande.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service